Saturday, November 2, 2013

Crawl before you walk

May of 2013 I started to run.  I dreaded it so much in the beginning; I had no idea that I would come to love it and certainly never expected to become as passionate or dedicated to it as much as I have.  I decided to start this blog because I noticed that every conversation I have with every person I interact with, I end up bringing up running.  I sound like an addict.  So to alleviate the ears of people who don't give two craps about running (which I totally accept and am OK with!) I am starting this blog to have an outlet to talk about running as much as my lil addict heart desires.  I also wanted to start it because I decided last month that after completing my first half marathon, it was time to challenge myself further and prepare for a marathon next year.  I thought it might be fun to document my steps along the way for my own memories; but if anyone is interested in tagging along, read on!

My journey to my first marathon begins this weekend with my first ever experience with annual NYC marathon.  I have never seen a marathon, especially this one.  I can not believe I have never been involved; this race is humongous and incredibly prestigious.  It's amazing how much can go unnoticed in NYC when you just don't care.  But now that I care about running, I can't believe I ever missed it!  

My first day of marathon weekend was spent with an hour or so at the marathon health expo on Friday.  I totally went there by accident.  I went to pick up my packet for the Dash to the Finish Line 5k; not realizing it was located in the same area where marathoners were picking up their packets.  The expo was crazy!  Companies of every kind, samples and free gifts galore, and people from all around the world to run in my little city.  The energy was crazy.  I felt a tinge of sadness for 2.2 seconds because I recently injured myself which squashed my chances of running the NYC marathon next year (but 2015, here I come!) so I guess I was feeling a bit of jealousy.  But after seeing the hard work and dedication of the runners at this expo, and their incredibly athletic bodies, I realized that I have a lot to work towards and perhaps my injury was a blessing in disguise.  I will get my marathon next year, but when I finally do the NYC marathon, I'm gonna be a motherfrikkin running goddess!



                                                                  Photo from the expo
November 1, 2013



My second day was today.  I took part in the Dash to the Finish Line 5k.  It takes you through the heart of the city, into Central Park and ends at the actual marathon finish line.  it was AMAZING.  There was over 7,000 runners from all over the world.  People carrying flags from their countries, loud music playing, and just a vibe that was incredibly excited and positive.  I couldn't run that much due to my messed up my ankle; I walked more than I would have liked.  But it was still such a wonderful experience.  I was surrounded by so much inspiration that will help keep my motivated over the next year to when I run my first marathon.

Photo from the Dash to Finish Line 5k
November 2, 2013


Tomorrow is the big day!  I can't wait to see the marathon in action.  I have a few different points I plan on watching from.  I truly am excited to see everyone complete this amazing race and can't wait to experience what it means to be a spectator and supporting people who have busted their asses over the last few months (and maybe longer) training for this race.  I already know I will never forget it.

If you can, make it out and cheer.  The race is in all 5 boroughs, so there's no reason my fellow New Yorkers can't make it!  Here's the link of the course map:  http://www.ingnycmarathon.org/images/pdf/INGNYCM13_Course_Map_ForWeb.pdf

Get out there and give a stranger a high five!  


Until tomorrow... 




No comments:

Post a Comment